SHELLEY — Thursday night, fireworks caused a fire that destroyed two buildings. Spectators coming to see the fire hindered firefighter’s efforts, officials say.
Firefighters from the Shelley Firth Rural Fire District battled flames from just before 10 p.m. Thursday until 2:30 a.m. Friday on 1340 E. in the Greenfield area of Shelley. Fire Chief Randy Adams confirmed that people lighting fireworks caused the fire.
“That is such a scary place up there. We were lucky that we caught it when we did, with all the tall grass back there,” Adams told Community Pioneer. “If it had been on 1350 instead of 1340, we’d’ve had fire from here clear over to Bone.”
Adams said no one was injured.
It is believed the fire ignited in tall grass around a large, two-story structure. Adams said the structure was completely engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene. He said they aren’t sure exactly what the building was but think it may have been a barn.
The fire spread to a neighbor’s garage about 30 feet away, destroying it.
Adams said they stopped the fire at a stand of trees before it reached any homes.
He said that spectators coming to see and take pictures of the fire hindered fire fighting efforts.
“Bumper to bumper traffic from people coming to check out the fire,” Adams said.
With so many people stopping on the streets to watch the fire, Adams said they had trouble getting fire engines through to battle the flames.
Eventually, they were able to close the roads and send the spectators away.
Most roads in the area, except 1340 E., were open again by midnight. 1340 E. stayed closed until around 2:30 a.m. when firefighters finally had the flames knocked down.
Adams said his firefighters didn’t make it back to the fire station until 3 a.m.
He asks that in the future, people stay away and allow firefighters to do their job.